Saturday, May 16, 2009

things I'm enjoying lately

Here's a non daily movie post. These will happen from time to time. I need the opportunity to geek out about other stuff sometimes.

So, I'm into comic books in a big way (have been since I was in kindergarten). I spent most of my grade school/high school career reading tons of superhero comics (which I still enjoy from time to time). Since college, though, I've become an indie comic junkie. Here's a few books I've recently devoured:



























I've heard about Mike Allred's work for a long time, but just recently picked up my first Madman comic at the recent St. Louis Area Book Fair. I was blown away at the amazing art and quirky fun of this character. The book feels like a sci-fi/superhero B-movie with an existential kick. I mean, the main character is a reanimated corpse named Frank Einstein (named after Sinatra and Albert respectively). How cool is that?




























This is a recent mini series that just came out in one collection. This comic is incredible. The art style is beautiful, the humor is subtle, and the whole book is truly heartfelt. It's about a nerdy, young, outcasted girl who...kills giants...kind of... This is a very difficult comic to describe, so I won't waste my time trying to explain it. Just go read it.




















I decided (after eating there again last night) that Pi is my favorite restaurant in St. Louis. The pizza place has recently become famous because our current president had them come to DC and make a meal for his family. It is worthy of this executive praise. My favorite pizza is their deep dish (crust made with cornmeal!) "the Berkeley". It had cheese, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, onions, and zucchini. AMAZING.



















The new Wilco album was leaked by the band. I can't stop listening to "Wilco the Song". Also, best album cover ever?


30 Rock is the most consistently funny show on TV and this week's season finale was no exception! Some of the best Tracy Jordan bits of the season. Season 3 has been the show's weakest, but it has definitely had it's moments.

Blog Five - From Comic Book Panel to Screen - Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World from Scott Pilgrim The Movie on Vimeo.

I am more excited for Edgar Wright's film adaptation of Scott Pilgrim than I have been for any movie since Fellowship of the Ring. This is my favorite comic series in recent memory. Check them out (and Wright's blog)!





















I'm a Strategy/RPG junkie and recently grabbed a used copy of this beauty off ebay. An awesome game and time killer. Probably not as good as the FF Tactics series, but still great!

No comments:

Post a Comment