Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 9: Walk Hard- The Dewey Cox Story (2007)





























Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Director: Jake Kasdan
Starring: John C Reilly, Jenna Fischer, Tim Meadows

I am a fan of the Apatow house of comedy. I think that films like Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, and Adventureland are well written and feature a fantastic group of actors. These guys are just consistently hilarious.

This film, though, didn't do it for me as much. I think the beginning of the movie was too much parody. I am not a parody hater (I love the films of Mel Brookes). I think, though, that it stuck a little too close to Walk the Line for the first half of the movie. The second half, though, took me by surprise by going through music history of the 60's and 70's. This is where the film really shined.

This movie as a whole is weak. There were, though, some highlights:

1. Jack White's Elvis impression was priceless.
2. The parts with the Beatles (played by Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Jason Schwartzman, and Justin Long) were great, especially the Yellow Submarine bit.
3. The Pet Sounds parody.
4. My favorite part was the Bob Dylan phase, especially the parts that ripped the incredible Dylan doc Don't Look Back. The parody was spot on.
5. Any time that they made an allusion to how silly it is to have one actor play a character from teen years to death.

I don't really have much to say about this flick. I wanted to see it because I love the Apatow films. This is a lesser effort from the group, but it did leave me with some fond scenes that I will remember fondly.

Lesson learned: Johnny Cash's life wasn't that funny.

PS- The original music was great. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff (Spinal Tap, Mighty Wind, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment