Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 4: Frost/Nixon (2008)




























Frost/Nixon
Director: Ron Howard
Starring: Frank Langella, Michael Sheen, Sam Rockwell

I am a history teacher. I really love the drama of history. This movie was right up my alley. It was like a more exciting Good Night and Good Luck.

I have Raging Bull coming up on my Netflix queue. This, though, is my first boxing movie of the summer. The tension was built up to a bout between two titans ready to come out swinging. It had all the twists and turns of a great sports movie. Such amazing acting (especially from Sam Rockwell, a personal favorite). Frank Langella deserves all the praise he got last year.

So far, each of these daily movies has surprised me. This movie did something I didn't expect it to. I felt sorry for Richard Nixon. Extremely sorry for this sad old man. The subtle power of Langella's performance really touched me. This film worked for me on every level. Bravo, Ron Howard.

This was the big Oscar contender from last year that I never got around to seeing. Probably my second favorite nominated film, next to Milk (though Dark Knight was robbed of a nomination and would have been my pick for best picture).

Someone needs to do one of these interviews with Bush Jr.

Lesson learned: Crime doesn't pay (not even for a president).

No comments:

Post a Comment