Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 5: Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)




























Crimes and Misdemeanors
Director: Woody Allen
Starring: Martin Landau, Woody Allen, Mia Farrow

As you may have guessed from my blog header, I am a big Woody Allen fan. Something about his movies speaks to me. The humor is right up my alley, a perfect combination of slapstick comedy and subtle wit. I also like how he deals with very human stories without sugar coating it, yet somehow makes them life affirming. I think Woody Allen's movies have shown me that, no matter how humiliating or depressing a situation is, heartbreak and pain are things you can learn something from and even laugh at.

Crimes and Misdemeanors is a far cry from the screwball comedy of films like Love and Death (one of my favorites) or Take the Money and Run. This is Allen at his most bleak. It is an ethical drama that deals with very serious issues. Like many of Allen's films, this deals with the brain vs heart situation often caused by affairs. This, however, takes it a step further into the realm of murder.

People get murdered all the time in movies, usually without much fuss made about it. This film shows how real, everyday people would react to such a crime. Could a person live with themselves if they got away with it? Can we judge people in such situations?

My main exposure to Landau in the past was his killer performance as Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton's Ed Wood. Here, he gives us a believable performance as a man torn apart by a horrible deed and his repressed religious upbringing. Allen plays his usual neurotic role, yet somehow comes off even sadder than usual as a married man who falls in love with another woman.

This movie was great. Really dark and contemplative. I'll be thinking about this one for a few days. I think everyone who watches it would see something different. It's a great discussion piece that will really tell you a lot about your world view.

Lesson learned: There's no such thing as a "perfect murder".

PS- When enjoying the films of Woody Allen, I find it best to ignore his personal life. It allows me to enjoy them more. Maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment