Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 2: Citizen Kane (1941)































Citizen Kane
Director: Orson Welles
Starring: Orson Welles

Well, this movie has been a long time coming. This has been repeatedly hailed as one of the greatest movies ever made (if not the greatest). I've been meaning to see it for years.

This movie was not what I expected. I already knew from collective pop culture knowledge what "Rosebud" referred to. I was expecting this to take away the suspense or intrigue of the movie. This was not the case. This movie was so different. I was expecting a Casablanca type picture. Instead, I got a dark, moody piece about a broken man. This movie really reminded me of 2007's There Will Be Blood.

The cinematography of this movie...wow. Maybe the coolest opening shots I've ever seen! Way more interesting than most movies made after it (even most movies today).

Orson Welles made this movie when he was 26 years old. This makes me feel like a talentless hack. Sure, I'm only 22, but I'm not on my way to any masterpieces in the next four years.

Overall, not the best movie I've seen. However, it did surprise and impress me with its atmosphere, amazing camera techniques (really cool scene transitions!) and a stellar performance from a young actor.

Lesson learned: Money can't buy happiness (or good singing lessons, apparently).

No comments:

Post a Comment