Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 10: Time Bandits (1981)




























Time Bandits
Director: Terry Gilliam
Starring: John Cleese, Sean Connery, Ian Holm

This movie was right up my alley for several reasons.

First, I am a huge Monty Python fan. I've seen all their movies and own the entire Flying Circus on DVD. This film featured performances from Palin and Cleese (my two favorite members of the crew) and was directed by Terry Gilliam. I'd call myself a mild Gilliam fan, though I still need to see more of his stuff (Brazil, Fear and Loathing, and Fischer King are on my list for the summer).

Second, this was a classic fantasy film. It was very similar in atmosphere to Labyrinth, Willow, Legend, Dark Crystal, etc. These movies have a special place in my heart and are exactly the kind of movie I loved as a kid.

Third, its dwarfish theives travel through time, meeting some great figures of history (Robin Hood, Agamemnon, Napoleon). As I've stated before, I'm a history nerd.

So, this movie was a perfect combination of Pythonesque humor and high fantasy. Cleese's outrageous performance as Robin Hood was probably my favorite bit of the movie. The boyhood wonder that fantasy listerature and film have given me in my life can be seen in our child protagonist. This movie was just plain fun (much like Princess Bride or Stardust). Gilliam's vision for the surreal is definitely present in this movie. It was just beautiful to watch, amazing production.

I'm glad Lord of the Rings came along to revive fantasy cinema. Maybe we'll get more fun flicks like this. Gilliam's next film looks to be more of the same whimsical imagination. I'm ready.

Lesson learned: God is relly kind of silly in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment