Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 42: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
































Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Director: Terry Gilliam
Starring: Johnny Depp, Benicio Del Toro

This movie is pure madness. There were times that I was not sure what I was watching. I have never done drugs, but if this movie has any truth to it then I'm glad I never did.

The film is based on the popular Hunter S. Thompson book. I'm not really sure how to summarize the plot, mostly because I'm not really sure just what was happening. It's about a journalist and his lawyer who go to Vegas to report on a story. Also, they do a lot of drugs. That's the best I can do.

Gilliam really built a surreal circus with this movie. It was funny and psychedelic. The whole movie was a crazy trip full of hallucinations that blurred with reality. Gilliam has always had a vision for dreamlike weirdness. This movie was him in full force.

Johnny Depp was spectacular (as always). The guy can do anything. He used a little of this character in Jack Sparrow. The wide eyed, stumbling, mumbling genius.

I don't know if I need drugs to appreciate this movie more or not. This really captured that insanity of the 60's in a unique way. I liked this more than I thought I would. I thought it got a little too much by the end (the beginning was my favorite part). This is the sort of mess of a movie you have to see to believe.

Lesson learned: Drugs are bad, mkay?

No comments:

Post a Comment