Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 30: Away We Go (2009)































Away We Go
Director: Sam Mendes
Starring: John Krasinski, Maya Rudolph

This was the kind of movie I like. It's a funny, bitter sweet dramedy with great character actors.

Krasinski and Rudolph play an expecting couple looking for a place to start a family. Their trip takes them to Phoenix, Madison, Montreal, and Miami.

The movie is directed by the wonderful Sam Mendes and written by Dave Eggers. The acting is great, with a stellar supporting cast. Jeff Daniels and Maggie Gyllenhaal were especially funny. The best part about our main actors was their subtlety. Both Krasinski and Rudolph have the ability so say so much with their facial expressions (should be no surprise to fans of the Office).

The movie was split up into chapters for each city their visited, learning a new lesson about life or family with each stop. Alexi Murdoch's music really gave the movie a contemplative, soulful sound that fit the situations.

This movie really spoke to me. I just got engaged a week ago and now adulthood is staring me in the face. There is a point early in the movie when the couple are sitting in their shitty house and asking themselves if they are big screw ups. They talk about how they suck at living and being adults. I fear that I will be asking myself the same question when I get to that age. I'm afraid that I won't be a good grown up and that I will have no business bringing children into the world. I really identified with these fears. Hopefully my belated coming of age is less dramatic than these two.

Also, John Krasinski's character really reminded me of myself.

Lesson learned: Strollers are fun.

1 comment:

  1. DO NOT WORRY!! YOU'LL BE (ALREADY ARE) A FANTASTIC "GROWN-UP" AND PARENT!!!!

    ReplyDelete