Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 31: The Blues Brothers (1980)


























The Blues Brothers
Director: John Landis
Starring: John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Carrie Fisher

First daily movie that I had seen before (not bad for a month of movies). Kay's family is from Chicago and she had never seen this movie. I consider this film and Farris Beuller's Day Off as two must see Chicago flicks (she had seen the latter). I knew she would love it, so we watched it with her parents tonight. Just as great as I remember it being.

This is a "musical" about a pair of brothers on a mission from God to reunite their band and raise some money. Jake and Elwood are played by original SNLers Akroyd and Belushi.

This movie is insane. Car chases, musical numbers, celebrity cameos, explosions, Illinois Nazis... so absurd, yet so funny. It's great seeing a young Carrie Fisher in such a different role from the princess I grew up with. The scenes of Jake and Elwood nonchalantly walking away from her murder attempts are fantastic. Really, the way the float through chaos without batting an eye is part of what makes this movie both cool and funny. The car chase scene in the mall is classic.

It's the music, though, that makes me really love this movie. Stars like James Brown, Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin (in my favorite scene of the movie) deliver killer performances. I wish more movies were made with this many great musicians!

Lesson learned: Playing "Stand By Your Man" can soothe a crowd of drunken idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment