Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 38: The Baxter (2005)



























The Baxter
Director: Michael Showalter
Starring: Michael Showalter, Elizabeth Banks, Michelle Williams

I enjoyed this movie more than I was expecting to. I really love Showalter's work on Stella, but this movie looked like a toned down version of their comedy adapted into a romantic comedy. That's exactly what it was, but not in a bad way. This was a predictable rom com with tons of charm that I really liked.

A "Baxter" is a nice guy who is often dumped for a girl's true love. You know how, at the end of romantic comedies, the main girl decides at the altar that her fiance is the wrong guy and that she needs to go find her real leading man? Well, Showalter tells they typical story from the perspective of that wrong guy that gets left at the altar.

The Stella style comedy was definitely present, with many scenes of absurd dialogue. Wain and Black also had side roles, both of whom were hilarious. The best part of the movie, though, was Michelle Williams. She was incredibly charming and easy to fall for.

I guess I liked this movie because, before meeting Kaylen, I felt like a Baxter myself. I'm glad my story ended happily like this one.

Lesson learned: Don't order wine at a burger joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment