Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 27: Blade Runner (1982)






























Blade Runner
Director: Ridley Scott
Starring: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young

Well, this film has been on my "must see soon" list for years and years. For those geeks who care, I watched the theatrical cut (I know there is a big debate on whether the director's cut is better...did I make the right decision?). So, I liked this movie a lot. I doubt it will become a favorite of mine, but I'm glad I watched it for sure.

The movie is about a special police agent (a "blade runner") looking for outlawed androids called replicants to kill.

The production values were the best part of the movie. My favorite kinds of sci-fi films are the ones that do a lot of world building. This film had gobs of world building. The futuristic city looked amazing, especially for it's time. Really, none of the effects or technology seemed dated. The costumes, sets, dialogue, and music all create a dark, moody atmosphere. My favorite thing about the movie is the way it mixed film noir aspects with classic science fiction. As I have mentioned, I really love film noir.

The acting was a mixed bag. I think Harrison Ford was decent, but his voiceover narration was pretty lame (which I know is absent from Scott's cut). It's like Ridley said "read these lines like you are reading them off of a page and you've never seen them before". They were really just sort of awkward. The side actors were great, especially Rutger Hauer. He made his character contemplative, terrifying, and intense.

Ok, now that I have typed this, I think I like this movie more than I initially thought. It was the production values and atmosphere that sold me. Yay cyber punk!

Lesson learned: Robots can be emo, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment