Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 21: Animal Crackers (1930)




























Animal Crackers
Director:
Starring: Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx

Back on track here with a great movie. The only other Marx Bros movie I've seen is Duck Soup, which I really loved. This one was just as great. The (loose) plot centered around Groucho, an African safari captain who has returned to America and is attending a fancy party. However, these movies are not about plot, they are about entertainment and non stop gags.

Each of the 3 main brothers (excluding Zeppo) have their own style of amazing comedy. Chico has his outrageous accent, Harpo has the silent treatment, and Groucho spits out non stop one liners. I realize now that Woody Allen was just doing a Groucho schtick in his early screwball comedies. I guess that's why I like these movies so much. Everythign Groucho says is a joke and they are hysterical. The movie also included romance, music, and action (everything you could ask for!)

The beauty of a Marx Brothers movie is that nobody else in the movie seems to know they are in a comedy. Everyone else delivers straight dialogue and and sort of casually ignores most of what the brothers do. It's almost like these guys just stormed onto the set of another movie and decided to ruin it with their antics.

A few favorite Groucho lines:

"You know, you two girls have everything. You're tall and short and slim and stout and blonde and brunette. And that's just the kind of a girl I crave. "

"I was outside the cabin smoking some meat. There wasn't a cigar store in the neighborhood! "

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know. "

"Africa is God's country, and he can have it. "

"I'm sick of these conventional marriages. One woman and one man was good enough for your grandmother, but who wants to marry your grandmother? Nobody, not even your grandfather. "

Lesson learned: Never play cards with a Marx.

PS- Am I the only person who finds Harpo both funny and creepy?

No comments:

Post a Comment