Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 32: In Bruges (2008)































In Bruges
Director: Martin McDonagh
Starring: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes

This movie is not what the trailers made it out to be. I was expecting a Guy Ritchie sort of British crime/comedy. I got something that had crime and comedy, but also moral questions and bleakness. This is about as black as comedies come.

Farrell plays a hit man who is laying low in quaint Bruges, Belgium after a job gone bad. He accidentally killed an innocent child and is having trouble escaping his guilt in a town he considers terribly boring.

The movie was definitely funny. Farrell's whole attitude towards the town often leads to funny comments, facial expressions, and offensive remarks. He and Gleeson had some humorous discussions that about various topics (karate, etc.) Gleeson was my favorite part of the movie. I've loved him in every movie I've seen him in (I was introduced to him at a young age by Braveheart). Soooooo great.

This movie really dealt with some intense moral issues. Every character goes through some sort of inner turmoil in this movie. It sort of tries to find good and evil, black and white in a gray world. To see hit men so caught up in this is really an interesting concept.

My friend/nemesis (at least in areas of taste many times) told me that he did not like the ending. I really liked it. It ended just like a tragedy should end and how I sort of saw it ending 20 minutes earlier.

Not what I was expecting, but I wasn't really disappointed.

Lesson learned: Don't punch Canadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment