Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 54: Bruno (2009)
































Bruno
Director: Larry Charles
Starring: Sacha Baron Cohen

There's not much I can say here. It was vulgar, outrageous, explicit, and funny. It was all a bit too much for me, though I did laugh a lot. I really applaud Cohen for his ability to generate this sort of comedy in his unique way. I went into this movie expecting it to be wild and was still shocked.

Instead of playing a Kazakhstan journalist looking for the American dream, here we follow a gay Austrian fashion guru who wants to become a celebrity.

I don't know how much of this movie was staged, but the majority of it seemed legit. This was so different from any other movie in theaters today (or at all since Borat). The quasi documentary style relies on Cohen's incredible ability be be a chameleon. I don't know how much longer he can keep this up, but I'm sure he won't be stopping anytime soon.

Lesson learned: The military does not appreciate fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment