Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 49: Hot Rod (2007)




































Hot Rod
Director: Akiva Schaffer
Starring: Andy Sandberg, Jorma Taccone, Bill Hader, Danny McBride

I'm sure you're all sick of reading about kung fu movies. Here's your variety!

I don't regularly watch SNL. It has become very inconsistent, with a few bright spots here and there. Most recent highlights come from Andy Samberg. I first heard of Andy and his Lonely Island crew when I watched the Awesometown unaired pilot they did. I really loved their random, nonsensical style. This movie had tons of that.

This is the story of Rod, a stuntman who is trying to raise money to save his dying stepdad. The reason he wants to save him, though, is because he wants to beat him up.

The cast is great. It includes my personal favorite SNLer (Bill Hader) and my favorite Arrested Development alum (Will Arnett). Also, Danny McBride continues to be hilarious in every movie he appears in.

The thing I loved about this movie is just how wild the humor was. You really did not know what to expect from one minute to the next. All of a sudden, ariot could break our or people could bust into a rap. A lot of the jokes were so juvenile and dorky.

I love when movies take a cheap,lame physical comedy joke and allow it to go on so long that it starts to be funny, then long enough that is becomes hysterical. My prime example is the puking scene from Team America. There's a part at the beginning of this movie where Rod is falling down a hill that took me from giggling, to chuckling, to guffawing.

Quotable dialogue, great plot, and funny cast=success

Lesson learned: Taco defeats grilled cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Why am I saying what what way?
    (This quote is not as funny when reading it)

    ReplyDelete