Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 50: The Elephant Man (1980)


































The Elephant Man
Director: David Lynch
Starring: John Hurt, Anthony Hopkins

Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of the films of David Lynch. I could not appreciate Eraserhead at all and really didn't care for Blue Velvet. His films seem to be plotless and without a single bit of great dialogue. I see movies as an artistic way to tell a story. I can see why people may appreciate his films as a form of modern art. I, though, have trouble with most modern art (and the concept of art for art's sake). Lynch fans, feel free to tell me why I am wrong.

This movie was different. This was full of real, relatable emotion and a strong story. The acting was great, especially from the two leads. This was also one of the saddest movies I have ever seen in my life. It tells the real story of John Merrick, a horribly deformed man who is taken in by Dr. Treves. Treves treats John like a human being, with the highest dignity.

John Hurt is outstanding in this movie. Even under all that makeup, the raw emotion of his performance shines through. Hopkins delivers a subtle performance of a man who is torn about his own actions in caring for this man. The supporting cast also does well, especially a memorable role from Anne Bancroft.

The movie was truly heartfelt, but probably the most difficult movie I have seen in a long time. It is a good thing Lynch decided to shoot in gritty black and white. This would have been impossible to swallow in full, clear color. The brutality of some people is so real here. The movie demands you to look at ugliness (both inside and out) in an extreme, in your face way.

This was a beautiful movie about humanity's good and bad sides. I probably won't stop thinking about this movie for a few days. The images are lodged into my mind now. Maybe this was like the other Lynch movies I've seen...

Lesson learned: Freaky deakies need love, too.

1 comment:

  1. I need to see this...
    read the play this past semester & I'm really interested in seeing it performed.

    ReplyDelete