Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Top 10

Well, now that the project is over, it's time to pick the cream of the crop. Which movies did I like the most? Which will stick with me for a while? Which DVDs will I put on my Christmas list this year? Here they are: the top 10 of the summer (in order):


10. Lady Snowblood (1973)

Have you ever watched a movie and thought "that movie would have been way cooler if..."? I couldn't say that after Lady Snowblood. It was the sort of movie I've always wanted to see. A Kurosawa film, but with more action. A sword fighting movie, but with more story. An action movie, but with originality and style. This was just a fun revenge flick with great characters, costumes, and fight scenes. I'm surprised Tarantino was the first to rip it off. This is as close as it gets to live action manga.

What will always stick with me: The opening bloodbath in the snow.


9. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

I watched some classic silent films this summer, including comedies by Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. The best of these, though, was a serious drama about Joan of Arc. This movie really blew me away with its intense emotion and revolutionary camera work. Probably 90% of the film in this movie was made up of quick cuts of facial closeups. What made this work, though, was the performance of Maria Falconetti.

What will always stick with me: Falconetti's crazy eyes.


8. Paper Moon (1973)

I really didn't know what to expect from this movie. Every synopsis and trailer I saw made it look sort of bland. This con man movie turned out to be anything but! It was funny and had some beautiful black and white cinematography. The was outstanding, father/daughter combo in the lead roles. This was an old fashioned good time that showed what it may really be like to be a con man.

What will always stick with me: A little girl smoking a cigarette while listening to the radio.


7. Gangs of New York (2002)

I watched 3 Scorsese pictures this summer and this was my favorite. Sure, the two classics were probably more artsy and real, but this movie was more up my alley. It was easier to watch, had a superb ensemble cast, and had some of the best sets and costumes I've ever seen (which really appealed to the history teacher in me). I could just watch Billy the Butcher all day!

What will always stick with me: Daniel Day Lewis's big climactic scene at the theater.


6. Run Lola Run (1998)

This little German movie didn't have much in the way of plot or acting. The reason it made my list is because it was so different. The 81 minute run time feels like 15. The same 20 minute story is told three times, with slight variations making all the difference. This is the film equivalent to listening to techno. My heart is pumping just thinking about it!

What will always stick with me: Lola running through the street over and over again.


5. 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984)

You all probably got tired of reading boring kung fu reviews. I decided to pick the best one to put on my list. This was hard, but I ended up going with this beauty because it simply has the best fight scenes ever (and isn't that how this genre should really be judged anyway?). The story was barely coherent and the acting was over the top, but that's all part of the charm. From the first few minutes of the film to the very end, the action doesn't stop. Gordon Liu's pole fighting is really something that I can't describe. He's just the best and that's what set this movie apart from the others this chop socky summer.

What will always stick with me: The jaw dropping final fight scene involving coffins and defanging.


4. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

I guess this was the summer of martial arts and Woody Allen (an unlikely combination). Again, I wanted to pick my favorite for this list and ended up going for one that Allen didn't even act in. This movie was magic. It explored the wonder of film in a whimsical fairy tale that ended with a smack if bittersweet reality. Movies like this are why Woody is probably my favorite filmmaker of all time.

What will always stick with me: Jeff Daniels talking to Mia Farrow from a movie screen.


3. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

I wasn't expecting to like this movie as much as I did. Kay had been bugging me about seeing this for a while, so I threw it on the Netflix queue. What I got was the best musical I have ever seen (and it wasn't even in my language). What do you get when you mix wonderful music, eye candy visuals, and real world emotions? A classic movie.

What will always stick with me: The painfully real closing scene.


2. Harold and Maude (1971)

If I hadn't heard that this was a major influence on Wes Anderson, I probably would have never watched this movie. I'm glad I got past the disturbing plot synopsis and checked this out. This had everything I love about indie comedies today: quirky characters, hilarious gags, tear jerking moments, interesting camera work, and a killer soundtrack.

What will always stick with me: Cat Stevens music being put to good use.


1. Before Sunrise (1995)

I recommend this movie to everyone who hasn't seen it. This is a classic romance in every way. Linklater has created something so real with this movie. Even though it is made up entirely of long cuts of straight dialogue, I couldn't look away. Simply a beautiful piece of cinema that has become a personal favorite.

What will always stick with me: The hard goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment