Friday, August 21, 2009

Gosford Park (2001)
































Gosford Park
Director: Robert Altman
Starring: a ton of people

I have seen two other Robert Altman movies, Nashville and MASH. Though this is limited exposure, I feel the movies gave me a pretty good idea about Altman's general style. Though this movie was made almost 30 years later, it shared many key characteristics. Huge ensemble cast, loose plot, strong characters, and a very slow pace. Altman likes to throw a ton of characters into a flick, each with their own story, and just watch what happens. Who needs a narrative story when you have 20 people with their own agendas.

What happens when you get a dozen or so British aristocrats and their wives and servants in a country house for a shooting party? Somebody gets killed and everybody gossips.

This murder mystery was not what I was expecting. This was not a "who dunnit?". I'm actually not sure who it was who did the actual killing. The real fun of this movie was the divide between the hired help and their employers. The story played out almost like a bedroom farce, but without all the slapstick gags. Doors are opened and closed. People try to avoid each other in a house. People hook up, emotional outbursts occur. Watching the characters slowly unfold on the screen was great (and something Altman does best).

The best part of the movie was watching the enormous, ridiculously talented cast work together. Some favorites included: Maggie Smith's scene stealing countess, Emily Watson's conflicted servant, and Clive Owen's mysterious valet. I also really enjoyed the subtle, charming performances from Claudie Blakely and Tom Hollander (who is fantastic in everything I've seen him in). The real joy, though, was Jeremy Northam. He played British actor and singer Ivor Novello, who has made it big in Hollywood. The scenes in which he plays piano were my favorites in the movie. I was as enchanted as the maids in the background. He really pulled off the charm and gusto of old Hollywood.

I liked this movie a lot. Sure, it dragged a lot. I was expecting that. This was just a rediculously talented cast to watch. I didn't even get to mention Stephen Fry, Michael Gambon, or Helen Mirren. Check it out.

Lesson learned: Americans seems silly in a house full of British people.

No comments:

Post a Comment